5 TIPS TO SURVIVE THE HOLIDAYS WITH FOOD ALLERGIES
The holiday season is a time for family, friends, and food. But for people with food allergies, it can be a challenging time. Here are five tips to help you and your family stay safe and still have fun during the holidays with food allergies:
- Open Communication: Let your hosts know about your child’s food allergies ahead of time. Explain what you can and cannot eat.
- Bring Safe Food: Offer to bring and share a savory and a sweet dish that you know is allergy safe. This helps to ensure that your allergic child will not go hungry and have a savory meal and sweet dessert that he or she can enjoy without worry. Pro-tip is to serve your allergic child before anyone else digs in. Scoop a bit more than you think he would want.
- Be Prepared with Emergency Medication: Carry your epinephrine auto-injector with you at all times, and make sure that your friends and family know how to use it in case of an emergency. Bring your epinephrine trainer so that others can learn how it works. Grab an orange and use this brilliant way to practice the EpiPen right now.
- Plan Ahead: If you’re traveling during the holidays, research restaurants and grocery stores in the area that offer allergy-friendly options. Also look for nut-free bakeries and cafes that may make a fun destination.
- Stay Positive: Remember that holidays with food allergies doesn’t have to mean that you can’t enjoy the holidays. Focus on spending time with your loved ones, and try to find joy in the non-food aspects of the holiday season.
Let us know in the comments on what tips you would add.
Navigating the Holidays with Food Allergies
Eating well and staying safe with food allergies is possible with some preparation and awareness. You don’t have to miss out on the fun and flavor of food.
Your favorite recipes can be modified by substituting or omitting the ingredients that cause you problems.
How to Eat Well and Stay Safe
Always read the labels of packaged foods and look for allergen warnings. If you are not sure about an ingredient, call the manufacturer or avoid the product.
How to Enjoy the Holidays Without Worrying About Your Food Allergies
If you have food allergies, you know how hard it can be to enjoy eating out or trying new recipes. You always have to be careful about what you eat and how it was prepared. But don’t worry, you can still eat well and stay safe with some the tips above.
How to Manage Your Food Allergies During the Holidays
Plan ahead and pack your own snacks and meals when traveling or going to events. This way, you can avoid potential cross-contamination and enjoy your food without worries.
I hope these 5 tips help you stay safe and still have fun during the holidays. Happy Holidays!
Explore more about celebrating the winter holidays with food allergies from FARE.
BE SURE TO PIN IT: