GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, NUT FREE, SOY FREE, GRAIN FREE
With just 3 ingredients, this breakfast sweet potato porridge is a great alternative to oatmeal when you’re in the mood for something different. It’ll quickly become a favorite though! It’s easy to whip up in a few minutes — yes, even faster than toast. With the vitamin A filled sweet potato and protein from the flaxseed, this breakfast sweet potato porridge packs quite the nutritional punch! And since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, adding a sweetener is optional.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Allergic Princess will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
We love ground flaxseed in our home. Can you believe there’s 2.6 grams of protein in the 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed for this recipe? Flaxseeds are also an excellent source of omega-3 fat. This is the good fat! It also adds a great nutty taste.
- 1/2 Cup sweet potato, cooked
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- If sweet potato is not cooked, cook it. Instructions are at the bottom of this post.
- Peel sweet potato and smash with fork.
- Mix the hot water into the smashed sweet potato.
- Stir in the ground flaxseed.
- Let sit for a few minutes as the flaxseed absorbs the water.
- Add more water to get desired consistency.
- Milk, milk alternative, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla extract, maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup, coconut oil, shredded coconut, cacao powder, cacao nibs, carob powder, hemp seed, blueberries, strawberries, banana slices, granola, nuts.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes Quickly
A quick and easy way to cook sweet potatoes is by piercing it with a fork several times, then microwaving it for about 3-7 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato.
Start with 3 minutes for a 4 inch long, 2 inch wide sweet potato and add more time as necessary if it’s not cooked soft enough. I personally like the larger 8 inch long, 3 inch wide ones because there’s more “meat” in the center versus near the skin. Start with 5 minutes, check it, and add more time if you need to. If you have several small sweet potatoes, you can cook them all at once in the microwave as well.
Remember to scrub the skin clean first with a vegetable brush and water, pierce with a fork, then wrap in a damp paper towel before microwaving.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes in the oven is the traditional way to cook them. It produces a sweeter result due to the long cooking time. After cleaning and piercing the skin with a fork, wrap the sweet potatoes individually in foil. Bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes. Allow to cool before opening foil.
How to Boil Sweet Potatoes
Add the cleaned and pierced sweet potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Make sure they are completely submerged. Boil for 15-30 minutes or until soft enough.
What is your favorite go-to breakfast? Please share in the comments!
More Breakfast Ideas
Be sure to pin it: