DAIRY-FREE, NUT-FREE Need to add some excitement to your everyday ho-hum dinner? Inspired by my friend, Bev, I threw together a quick cornbread with a twist and it stole the spotlight at mealtime! My family devoured it like there was no tomorrow. What’s the twist? I LOVE spices. They easily give that much needed spark for your taste buds yet they don’t add anything unhealthy.
I’ve made dairy-free cornbread so many times over the years, but never thought to change it up. This time, I used basil. Does that make this an Italian Cornbread? It was delicious! I can’t wait to experiment with other spices in the future.
This recipe is so easy, you can literally mix all the ingredients together in 5 minutes and put it in the toaster oven (or oven) to bake. Continue making the rest of your dinner and your cornbread will be ready at the same time!
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but Allergic Princess will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!
TOASTER OVEN CORNBREAD
I like to use my toaster oven for quick bakes as it takes no time to pre-heat. Make sure you get a pan that can fit in there. I used my 8×8 square cake pan. Line it with parchment paper before pouring in your batter.
- 2/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Cup corn meal
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 Cup milk alternative (soy, rice, hemp, etc.)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Let sit for 5 minutes so corn meal can soak.
- Pour into parchment paper lined 8x8 inch pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serves 6.
- You can add in some corn (fresh, thawed, or canned) to the batter for additional texture.
For our family, we can eat cornbread with anything. It’s always welcome at our dinner table. Sometimes we have it with breakfast. Some people need to have cornbread next to their BBQ ribs! I think anytime is a good time for dairy-free basil cornbread!
What do you eat cornbread with?
Be sure to pin it: